- Why do you add colors to some of your beverages?
- We use colors for a variety of reasons that vary product to product. For example, in some products we use colors to offset the natural color loss that occurs from exposure to light, air, temperature extremes, and storage conditions. In other products, we use colors to correct natural variations in the color of our ingredients or simply to make our products more appealing or fun.
- How do I know if one of your beverages contains added colors?
- If we add colors to any of our products, they are listed on the product's label either by name (e.g., "Yellow 5") or by group (e.g., "Natural Colors" or "Artificial Colors").
- Are colors safe?
- Like all of the ingredients in our products, the colors we use are fully approved for use in foods by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA recently reviewed a possible link between food dyes and hyperactivity in children. They concluded that the science did not show a link and that there was no reason to restrict the use of colors in food or beverages or add warning labels about them.
- What about caramel coloring - is it safe too?
- Regulatory agencies including the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) have approved caramel coloring as safe for use in foods and beverages. Some recent concerns that have been raised about caramel coloring are based on a single study in which mice were given amounts equivalent to humans consuming 18,000 cans of cola every day for a lifetime. This study is not applicable to humans, particularly given these extreme doses.
For more information about colors visit:
U. S. Food & Drug Administration